A very personal look at life.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

23 February 2010, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Small things can give the greatest satisfaction. This morning a Marine Lance Corporal came in and asked about using the phones. “My calling card has expired, so I can’t use it to call home. Can you help me?”

I took a few minutes to explain how he could contact a local military base and have them connect him to the number that he’s trying to reach. “My home isn’t that close to a military base,” he told me. “I don’t think they’ll connect me.”

“It never hurts to give it a try,” I answered. We looked up two military bases that were closest to his home and I wrote the numbers down for him. “Just tell them that you’re making a call from Kyrgyzstan and ask if they can connect you with your home.” He wasn’t confident, but he said that he’d call the numbers.

A half hour later he came back to the desk. “Sir, I got through! They even connected me to another number that wasn’t as close to the base! Thank you!” The look on the young Lance Corporal’s face told the whole story.

“Hang on to that number,” I said. You’ll be able to use it again.

“This place is awesome!” I knew that he meant it.

I hear it every day. Guys come into Liberando’s with a dazed look in their eyes, many not even knowing what day it is or what country they just landed in, and they’re all looking for a phone or a computer to get a word back to their homes. They’ve just stood outside in the weather to pick up their baggage, they’ve gone through a long line at the Lodging office to pick up some sheets and a blanket and their body clocks are completely confused.

My job is to give them a last taste of America before they find themselves in a war zone, and to give them a first taste of America as they begin the long journey home. On either end of their deployment Liberando’s is a welcoming oasis, a chance to take a breath and relax and to feel a bit of home. As they walk in they’re greeted by two big-screen televisions, one showing the news and the other showing sports. They usually stop and look around as they pause near the large commercial refrigerator. “Free Sandwiches,” the sign calls out. On the back counter is a pot of fresh coffee and some hot water for those who would rather make a cup of tea or hot cocoa. Donated items from organizations all over America cover the back counter, too, including cookies, chips, candy, Chapstick and hand sanitizer. A free copy of the Stars and Stripes gives them a chance to read the news and the funnies, but a room full of phones and computers calls loudest to most as they’re anxious to log into Facebook or MySpace or just to read their e-mail.

Sometimes I hear an exclamation as they discover that we have a movie schedule. “Hey! Guys! They’ve got movies here! Sir, how much does it cost to watch a movie?” I love telling them the price of admission. “It’s free, just like nearly everything else on the base. We’re here for you.” Another of my favorite questions is, “What time does this place close?” And another of my favorite answers is, “Never. We’re here for you 24-7. Welcome to Kyrgyzstan!” I love these guys!

1 comment:

Anna-Lisa said...

That is great to hear, about being there for the soldiers, it's actually awesome!