A very personal look at life.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

18 February 2010, Bishkek, Kyrgyzstan

Cold. So danged cold. “Minus what?” It’s been more than two weeks now since the temperature climbed above the freezing mark. Yesterday the weatherman predicted a low of minus two, but it dropped to minus seven. The afternoon high was supposed to reach 16 degrees, but it only made it to 11. I left the office a couple of times to walk to the DFAC for food and on both occasions my nose and cheeks hurt in the cold. I was so very grateful for a warm coat and an army fleece cap. Outside in the wind I pulled my hands up into my sleeves to keep them warm, and to keep my neck warm I pulled my shoulders up to raise my collar a little higher. After just a few minutes of holding my shoulders up they ached and my neck hurt and made the cold feel even worse. That was yesterday morning. Today the air feels warm. The low was only 11 degrees, up 13 degrees from yesterday, and the high is expected to reach 32.

Today is the Base Mayor’s official walk-through again. He walks through by himself more often, but on Thursday he brings his entire staff with him, including Master Sergeants, Chief Master Sergeants and Captains. This morning he was also followed by Andy, our civilian company Quality Assurance Manager as well as John, our Site Manager, the chief liaisons between our contractors and the military.

Master Sergeant Bengry came in first. “Good morning, Jed. How are you today?” I returned the greeting as she was followed by several other high-ranking enlisted people.

“Wow! This is a full entourage this morning,” I exclaimed at the sight. MSgt Bengry smiled. “It’s the Mayor’s walk-through today."

"Today is Thursday, isn’t it,” I moaned in mock surprise.

John and Andy walked in just before the Mayor and they smiled at me. When Lt. Colonel VdW came in he greeted me, too.

“Good morning, Mr. Clark. It’s always a pleasure to see you.” He strolled over to me and shook my hand as John and Andy stepped aside to make a path for him.

“How’s Liberando’s? Is there anything that you need?”

“We’re actually doing pretty well here right now. We don’t have any major issues that haven’t already been addressed.”

He scanned the room and looked at the two large flat screen televisions that are mounted on the walls. “You don’t need any new big-screen televisions, do you?”

I paused and thought for a moment. “As long as you’re asking, we could use a small television monitor next to the VCR/DVD player so that we can monitor the movies in the theater. It’s not critical, but it would be convenient.”

Out of the corner of my eye I could see a look of panic wash across John and Andy in a simultaneous realization that I was talking seriously with the Mayor. He looked at the small computer monitor on the counter that relays flight information to the visiting troops.

“I really like this. I just don’t think it’s big enough for the people to look at. I think we need two large-screen monitors mounted on the walls so that they can be seen.” The Chief Master Sergeant jumped in. “It’s already in the plan, sir. We’re just using this as a temporary monitor to test whether it’s going to function well.” The Mayor gave him the nod. “I think it functions just fine. Let’s get it done.” That was the word. The Chief Master Sergeant made a hurried note on his clip board and stepped back.

“Mr. Clark, I can get you anything you need here. Just jot it down as you think of it, shoot me an email and consider it done.” I thanked him and then I added, “If you need anything from me, sir, you can also consider it done.” He flashed a knowing grin and nod as he quietly scanned the room and continued his walk.

A few hours later three Senior Airmen walked through the back door of Liberando’s carrying large, very heavy boxes. “The Mayor told us to deliver these to you. He told us that you need some microwaves at Liberando’s.” I was stunned. They had delivered three brand new microwaves, all with Russian text on the face! “Thank you! Yes! We can certainly use them here!”

An hour later two Master Sergeants came in the front door. “Do you have any storage area inside Liberando’s?” I had a few cabinets for small items, but nothing large. “What kind of storage are you talking about,” I asked.

“I’ve got a truckload of donated cookies and food items and the Mayor said that you could probably use them here.” My mind, as usual, was overflowing. “You can set the boxes by the back counter and we’ll take care of putting them away.”

I helped them carry in box after box of carefully packed, individually donated, commercially baked cookies, nuts, beef jerky, potato chips, Chapstick, hand sanitizer, tooth brushes, razors and a few other miscellaneous hygiene items.

The soldiers in the room stood up as we began unloading the contents onto the counter. “Sir, can we take some of this stuff?” That was the question that I wanted to hear!

“Yes! Tell your buddies, too. This is all here for you from Americans who love you and appreciate your service!” Big smiles rolled across faces the all around the room as the word rippled among the soldiers and Marines.

I’m certain that everyone in my company must be wondering by now about my obvious connections to the base chain of command, and my management must be wondering if I’ve been planted here as a spy to check up on them. Everyone in my company seems afraid to ask me about it, too. I’m just going to let them wonder.

Thank you all for supporting our troops! I love you all! Jed

1 comment:

stephendschmutz said...

Jed,

This made tears come to my eyes thinking about the good that comes from our donated items.

Later ... STEVE
===============
.
.
.